Wednesday, April 30, 2008

trust me

I enjoyed observing the salsa dancers last night.

A gentleman I went to undergrad with happened to be there and he hadn't changed one bit; on the dance floor all night!

I always enjoyed watching him "stroll" in college. "Strolling" is a common dance tradition within African American fraternities and sororities--generally at parties--choreographed line dancing is what it basically is...

Gabe, the gentleman I ran into, was always a great stroller and that transcended quite easily into salsa dancing. He was fun to watch. He twirled the ladies around all night.

I didn't get out on the dance floor myself.

ah, I know... give me a break; one can't be a rock star everyday.
;-)

I sat back chatted with two friends from work, ended the evening with a free drink, thanks to the bartender, and participated in a little political banter with Terry and another soon to be docta', Brad. We chatted up the latest Obama fiasco. Reverand Wright...wowsa', eh?

it resonates in that old school New Edition 80's hit..."sunny days? everybody loves them. tell me baby', can you stand the rain? storms will come."

well, at least for me. ;-)

But... back to the evening; it was a quaint crowd, with a nice array of music and traditional Latin appetizers.

I am grateful that the Latino Medical Students Association pursued such an event on behalf of the mural project, and it is my hope that the organization will seek & maintain a connection with the youth in Rosedale in the future.

Rosedale is what? 51% hispanic....

Would you like to know what happens when young teens look into the eyes of young adults who culturally look and resemble them?

Their eyes widen and you can literally see the thoughts rolling in their heads.... they made it to medical schoool....maybe I can too.

trust me.

it's called destiny.

No comments: