Tuesday, April 1, 2008

early bird gets the worm...(september 2007)

I've never been one to rise early in the morning...I take great delight in sleeping in...but this past sweet, september, on serveral occasions, I found myself up at sunrise in route to a hospital perched on a hill.

The drive from overland park to KU med center would usually take just under 15 minutes. I was guided around the pitter-patter of morning traffic by a scientist, who swore to the quickest path--I-35 to the mission rd exit, up the hill to 42nd street, quick left onto 42nd street, down to rainbow, quick left on rainbow...and voula'.

The crossroad, though, at 42nd and mission would often hinder this quickness. As crossroads tend to do...

Due to the pause , I couldn't help but notice the empty lot with a large retaining wall sitting so empty on the corner. What a perfect place for a mural, yes? yes. I figured I'd call a local high school & see what they thought. Wesport High School!

The scientist quickly informed me that Westport High was in Missouri and that we were in Kansas. With that came another pause; ah, yes...

remember now, I am not an early riser.

He went on, as scientists do, to tell me exactly what to do: get in touch with some of the movers and shakers in Rosedale.

Rosedale? Where's Rosedale?

The scientist paused a bit, squinted his eyes, spun his fingers around, and said, this; all of this, is Rosedale.


No comments: